This past week was a blast. I went backpacking for a week with my dad and Ren. We got up bright and early and left for the Wind Rivers at about 5:30am. It was early but we got to see the sunrise over Bear Lake. We stopped in Kemmer, Wyoming and got lunch then headed to the Big Sandy entrance. Our first destination was Big Sandy Lake. It was a 6 mile hike to get there and it wasn't too bad. Here is a picture of the lake when we got the first sight of it. We decided to find a camping spot and stay at the lake for a couple days and do day hikes instead of moving camp everyday. On day two we went to The Cirque of the Towers. In order to get there we had to hike through Jackass Pass. It was a hard hike. We would get to a point where we thought it was just over the hill and then we would have to go down into a valley and back up a hill again. Here is a picture of my dad, me, and Ren as we are going through part of Jackass Pass.
After we got through the pass we came upon The Cirque of the Towers. It's a circle of peaks with a lake at the bottom called Lonesome Lake. It is so beautiful there. I took the pictures I had taken of the Cirque and put them together for a panorama shot. It's pretty awesome. Click on the picture to see the full size.
On our way back we passed Arrowhead Lake. It is so called because, as you can see, it is shaped like a perfect arrowhead. I took some time to dip my feet in it and it was quite refreshing. It was way to cold to swim in though.
We got back and my dad and Ren fished Big Sandy and caught a couple fish for dinner. I'm not much of a fisherman so they had fun fishing a lot of the lakes we visited.
It would take a while to show everything that went on while we hiked but I have to mention this really cool area we went to on the third day. There is a path in between Clear Lake and Deep Lake that you just have to kind of find your own way. But the whole way up is just slabs of rock with water flowing over it making waterfalls in some places and little pools of water in others. It was my favorite part of the trip. I wish I would have had my swimming suit that day. The water was pretty warm from being heated as it went over the rocks. It was so beautiful in this area.
The trip was a huge success and we all had so much fun. I can't wait till we can go again. Thanks Dad and Ren for a great trip.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
Wind Rivers
Posted by Jason Findlay at 3:26 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


0 comments:
Post a Comment